- U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents who live in NY, NJ, CT, or PA
- College undergraduate students who are permanent residents of one of these states
- College undergraduates must be full time students
NOTE: As long as they fulfill the permanent home residency requirements, applicants are eligible even if they attend or plan to attend an accredited U.S. college/university located outside of NY, NJ, CT, or PA . This includes participation in a communications-related semester or quarter abroad if still registered at an accredited college/university in the U.S.
- U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents who do not live in NY, NJ, CT, or PA but who are currently enrolled in a communications program at a college/university in New York state may apply.
- NOTE: This year, for the 2021-2022 school year, we are not allowing high school seniors or graduate school students or applicants. We will revisit this next year.
An applicant must
be majoring, planning to declare a major, or pursuing an advanced degree in a communications-related field at a U.S. accredited college/university. Communications-related fields include, but are not limited to, advertising, broadcasting, communications, digital media, English, film, journalism, marketing, public relations, or publishing.
have an overall GPA of 3.2 (or 87%) or better
be available for an online interview in May 2021 (exact dates TBD)
If awarded, the scholarship funds must be used for the next academic year. We give the scholarship money directly to the school
- If the letter is not on letterhead (strongly preferred), the writer must provide complete contact information.
- One must be from a faculty member from the applicant’s current institution (i.e., someone from whom the applicant has taken a class and can comment on coursework or an academic advisor).
- The second recommendation must be from the applicant’s supervisor for a job, internship or volunteer activity; the applicant’s athletic coach; the academic adviser of an extracurricular activity in which the applicant participates; or the instructor from an outside class or course the applicant has taken.
Recipients who apply for sponsored scholarships that have mandatory internships not only MUST be available to complete the internships but also MUST notify us if their ability to do so changes at any point in the scholarship process. A recipient who fails to do so will be disqualified from receiving any scholarship from us and will not receive a free year’s membership.
Past scholarship winners who are reapplying must be NYWICI members in good standing (i.e., dues for the current year paid in full, if applicable). NOTE: No individual can receive the same named scholarship twice or more than two scholarships in total through NYWICI.